Station TechnicianAPPLY NOW
ION Media has established a track record of operational success and financial growth in building out its company. Available in 100 million homes, ION Media is the nation’s largest operator of full-power TV broadcast stations by national household reach, with 65 full-power stations.
Launched in 2007, the company’s flagship, ION Television, is a top 10-ranked U.S. general entertainment network featuring a “Positively Entertaining” schedule of proven, award-winning programs, quality original series and popular holiday movies available on multiple platforms via its state-of-the art distribution system.
The Station Technician is responsible for assisting the Chief Broadcast Engineer with the day-to-day technical and business operations of an ION Station. This hands-on individual will have the day-to-day responsibilities for monitoring, controlling and reporting the operability of the station’s master control and transmitter operations, as well as have the opportunity to work closely with the Chief Broadcast Engineer in the maintenance of the studio, transmitter, and distribution delivery equipment.
- Monitor, control and report to the operability of station’s master control and transmitter operations;
- Monitor and report station outages;
- Work together with Chief Broadcast Engineer in daily operation of studio, transmitter, and distribution delivery;
- Develop the skills and knowledge to troubleshoot television transmitter and facility issues with Chief Broadcast Engineer
- Develop the skills and knowledge to maintain systems responsible for supporting the on-air operation, such as HVAC, networking, electrical, and mechanical.
- Assist legal and corporate in the maintenance of the station public file in accordance with FCC requirements; Track and confirm FCC online station files;
- At the direction of the Chief Broadcast Engineer:
- Liaise for all cable, DBS, and Telco operators within market;
- Operate, log and maintain EAS tests and equipment;
- Proactively engage with necessary third parties to resolve technical issues in an expedited manner as they arise;
- Carry out troubleshooting as needed or escalate to engineering support for further diagnosis;
- Adhere to company policies and procedures including corporate guidelines and best practices;
- May be responsible for certain administrative duties related to business and operation transactions;
- Additional coursework and in-house training is required to advance to a Station Engineer;
- Other duties as assigned
- Please note: There are no production-related responsibilities with this position
- Minimum of an associate’s degree and at least two (2) years of experience in broadcast station operations, engineering or related industry;
- Comfort and willingness to learn, implement, and operate new technology related to broadcasting and content delivery;
- Strong proficiency with computers to include Microsoft Office Suite;
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills;
- Ability to prioritize multiple responsibilities and meet deadlines;
- Must be physically able to bend, lift and carry up to a maximum of 35 lbs., as well as climb on step-stools, ladders and other necessary equipment;
- Ability and willingness to travel to transmitter sites and travel throughout the region on an as needed basis;
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a clean driving record;
- Some understanding, via additional course work, of applicable electrical, computer networking, mechanical, structural and civil engineering methods is desired;
- Specific understanding of television operations, connectivity, video switching, IP networking would be a plus;
- Knowledge of FCC broadcasting rules preferred;
- Knowledge and basic technical understanding of traffic workflow system preferred
Apr 19, 2018